Thursday, March 11, 2010

NICOYE BANKS: Living His Dream Everyday

by Cyrus Webb*

The city of New Orleans has more than this year's Super Bowl win to be proud of when it comes to success stories. One of its own, model and actor Nicoye Banks is another shining example of what can happen with hard work and the unwavering pursuit of a dream. Banks now stars in the #2 film in the country "Brooklyn's Finest" alongside Wesley Snipes, Richard Gere, Don Cheadle and Ethan Hawk. On Friday, March 12, 2010, he will continue the celebration of his career when the thriller "Green Zone" (co-starring Matt Damon) hits theaters nationwide.

"I feel immensely blessed to be able to say that I have 2 films debuting in movie theatres a week apart from each other," says Nicoye. "This is an actor's dream."

Pursuing his own dreams and goals is not the only thing that the talented actor and model is doing everyday. When not working with movies, television, stage plays and family, Nicoye devotes his time to helping and empowering his community, as one of the founding members of the artist collective group called "The Standard", where he serves as Creative Director. Their mission is to serve as a source of inspiration and support and provide a space for individual exploration and discovery nourished by a collective commitment to growth as an artistic community.

Nicoye took time out of his busy schedule to talk with Conversations about his journey, how he remains focused, and what we can expect from him next.


Nicoye, first congrats on your success with Brooklyn's Finest and the upcoming release of Green Zone. If I had told you ten years ago that you would be enjoying such acclaim, would you have believed it?
Yes, I would have believed your statement! From your mouth into the universe, to God's ears, it shall be so.

What has kept you focused on your dream of being successful in the entertainment world?
It is that thing that is in me. It keeps me awake at night. It gives me anxiety when I am away from it, and I left my entire family behind---New York unseen---to elevate my pursuit of a career in this thing I love called acting.

Speaking of dreams, who would you like to work with in the future?
I would like to work with whomever will hire me. Everytime I land a role on stage, tv or film, I believe it is where I am supposed to be. I have absolutely everything to learn from all those who are involved. I am living my dream everytime I am cast.

People are always having to deal with challenges and struggles when they are pursuing their dreams. Can you give some advice on how to not let the lows get you down?
If you do not know what lows are, how can you know what are highs... Lows are a part of it. So, don't look at it as lows. Look at it as a period of transition, a moment of pause to redefine, improve, reflect, and redirect.

With 2010 starting off so well for you, Nicoye, can you give us an idea on what you have in store for your fans during the rest of the year?
I have another TV appearance on Law & Order: Criminal Intent. I recently filmed a beautiful short film called Spare Change where I play my first lead, and in the Fall I am returning to the stage again. I am also continuing to work through my company, an artistic collective, The Standard.

A great deal of actors us their time on the screen to get involved in other ventures. Can we expect to see you endorsing a product or putting out an album in the future?
Albums and things---not so much (laughs). Hey, you can count on me to stick to what I know and am good at, but if some products come my way, I will consider that type of expansion.

Thanks for your time, Nicoye. How can your fans keep in contact with you online?
Please follow me on Facebook and my website www.nicoyebanks.com.

There is seemingly no end to what Nicoye Banks can achieve. With his continued focus, drive and determination, he is destined to be on the minds of many as his career continues to blossom. “It matters not how straight the gate, nor how charged with punishment the scroll… I am the master of my fate… I am the captain of my soul”, says Nicoye.

May we all get to a place in our lives where we feel that secure in our own skin and the road that is our destiny.


* Cyrus Webb is the Editor-In-Chief of Conversations Magazine as well as contributing writer for Hype Magazine, Crunk Magazine and S.T.I.L.L. Magazine. You can find out more about him at www.cyruswebb.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment