Wednesday, August 18, 2010

KINESIS: Using Passion For Music To Teach By Example

by Cyrus Webb


Mississippi continues to give birth to some of the best and brightest in the world of entertainment. At the age of 25, Mississippi native Keith "Kinesis" Cole is showcasing the skills and discipline it takes to be good at whatever it is he pursues. When it comes to setting priorities, at the top of the list---third only to his love for God and his two daughters---is his love for making and performing good music.

"With music I am able to express myself and talk about the things I see everyday," he says. A native of Dekalb, Mississippi, Kinesis has been working on his craft for quite some time. "I think I was in the fifth or sixth grade when I started writing music and figured out that I had some real skill."

Though he has admired several artists over the years, Tupac, T. I. and Young Jeezy have been the main Hip Hop voices that Kinesis has been drawn to. "Since I rap, I don't really listen to alot of rap so I won't try and emulate what I hear," he says. "I listen to alot of R&B, but I respect the artists out there doing their thing."

As with any choice that a young person makes, the response has been mixed when it comes to the support Kinesis has seen in pursuing music. "Some of the family does support me," he admits, "but some people think that what I'm doing is a waste of time. I have a college degree, and they think I should be using it."

That degree was obtained at Jackson State University and was supposed to be the doorway for him to become a teacher. For Kinesis, though, he feels as though he is a teacher of life through his music, not just to the world but other young people around him, including his daughters.

What was the deciding factor in him not pursuing a "regular" job after college? Kinesis says that in 2007 he started to get real serious about music and building his brand as an artist. "I would spend all of my spare time on recording and promotional material," he says. "I was willing to give up so much, because I felt like God was going to give me all that I wanted. I just had to show that I had faith in myself. I wanted it so bad, and I was willing to do whatever it took."

One person who was in his corner in the beginning may not be around to physically see what he is accomplishing now, but Kinesis knows they are proud of him. That would be his mother who passed away on September 11, 2002: the same day his first daughter was born. "She was always in my corner," he says. "My mom was a big supporter of anything I did." That makes his making it in the music industry that more important.


Over the past few years Kinesis has laid the groundwork for a career that is reaching not just out of his hometown of Dekalb but the state of Mississippi altogether. He has performed in shows and had the privilege of hearing his music on the radio. What has it been like for him? Two words: a blessing.

"Each experience makes me even more hungy for this," Kinesis says. "When I am on stage or in the booth, I feel like I have won a championship when I finish. It's the kind of feeling you want when you are doing something you love."

Currently, Kinesis is promoting the singles "Ready to Ride" and "Clothes Off", and has joined Shadow Play Entertainment's literacy initiative called HIP HOP AND BOOKS which encourages reading among lovers of Hip Hop and R&B. "You have to give back," Kinesis says. "Organizations like Hip Hop and Books allows artists like me to stand shoulder to shoulder with others doing what I love and promote something positive like reading. Without the ability to read, you're lost. As a father, I realize that even more."

Speaking of his children, when asked about how he hopes his two daughters see Dad the Entertainer, Kinesis understands the balancing act he and other artists have to do. "I want them to be proud of what I do," he says. "I'm an entertainer, but I think I can also be a role model in the way I treat myself, my family and those around me."

Find out more about Kinesis at http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=657878252&ref=ts or www.shadowplayent.com. To schedule interviews, appearances or events with the artist, contact Cyrus Webb at cawebb4@juno.com or 601.896.5616.

No comments:

Post a Comment